Millgrove Construction have been appointed to carry out the next phase of listed building refurbishment following the successful completion of Grainger plc’s base of operations in 2013, the Smith Dorrien House building and the Maida gym in 2014/5.
4th Division HQ represents a further step in redeveloping the area and the opportunity to work on another 7 historic buildings steeped in military history. There are 7 buildings in total that Millgrove will be working on at 4th Division comprising:
- A purpose-built headquarters building of 1894. Two storeys with red brickwork and slate roof. Grade II listed. (H4A 021/024)
- A purpose built post office constructed in 1895 in red brick with a slate roof. Curtilage listed as part of the Headquarter Offices, also locally listed. Previously used for mail distribution and as a print workshop. (H4A 023)
- A mirrored pair of houses built to accommodate senior officers to the north of the main HQ building. Red brick with slate roof. Were used as military offices. Curtilage listed as part of the Headquarter Offices, and also locally listed. (H4A 011/015)
- Built in 1898 as military police barracks and stables. Red brickwork with slated roof. Were used as offices for The Royal Logistics Corps. Curtilage and locally listed as part of the Headquarter Offices. (H4A 012)
- Built in 1890s as military stables. Red brickwork and slated roof. Sub-divided in recent years to form a conference room, gymnasium and store. (H4A 019)
Millgrove Construction have been tasked with providing essential repair and maintenance works to protect the integrity and fabric of the buildings, necessary to maintain them in a reasonably stable and wind/watertight condition to meet the obligations imposed by the local planning authority.
This will involve repairs to the chimneys, roofs, bricks, rainwater goods, joinery and drainage plus the repairs and possible replacement of the sky lights.